Hadley Random Legacy: Gen. 2 Chapter 4

 Oliver's POV

Dad finally mastered the guitar. He's a real virtuoso with the instrument. He's been playing it practically his whole life, and he's finally at the point where there's nothing left to learn.

On the opposite end of that spectrum, the girls still have everything to learn, including talking. Calliope and I still take turns teaching them their basic skills, but I want to be the one to teach Sophie her first words. 

With so much going on at work and taking care of two small children, I needed a break. So I decided to go down to the summer festival on my own. I played soccer with a stranger I met at the park. Apparently, soccer has been really popular lately for some reason. 


I also got roped into a water balloon contest with Sam, Bella, and Helli0n Sw0rd of all people. Sam and Bella kicked our asses, but that's only because Helli0n wouldn't stop taunting them instead of actually throwing any water balloons...

So it turns out that the blonde woman I played soccer with is actually Helli0n Sw0rd's wife, and they even have a baby. I had no idea he'd gotten married. I still can't believe Hazel was interested in him for a little while. She really did dodge a bullet.

Neither Helli0n nor his new wife are particularly good parents. I couldn't believe they'd just drop their infant in the middle of the park so they could go throw more water balloons around. Helli0n's always been irresponsible though. I wouldn't be surprised if I have to arrest him someday. I probably should right now, for child neglect.

While I was still at the summer festival, tragedy struck. My mom, the founder of our family legacy, passed away at a pool party.

I'm just glad that she was with friends when it happened and that she'd been having fun right before. I know she was getting older, but it still seemed to happen so suddenly, and way too soon.

(Fern died right when her age bar maxed at 90 sim days. I play on normal lifespans.) 


Her friends called me right away, and I rushed over to collect my mom's remains. I still couldn't believe it. It hasn't sunk in fully yet.

My dad was absolutely devastated of course. My mom, Fern, was his soulmate. He'd always told me that. They'd been married for so long and faithful to each other the entire time. Even though my dad had become famous and had female fans throwing themselves at him all the time, he was never even tempted to step out on my mom. He only ever had eyes for her.

I was pleasantly surprised that Calliope really stepped up to console my dad. The two of them have never been really close, but it seems like my mom's death is bringing them closer. 

I'm glad my dad has someone he can talk to during this, because I'm just not home often enough unfortunately. Calliope has told me before that I work too much, but I have to in order to support the family. Despite my dad's fame, we are far from wealthy, and the money we do have in the bank we've been slowly investing in partnerships with businesses around Sunset Valley.

Speaking of work, Calliope continues to enjoy her new job as a lifeguard. There are times where I wish she'd decided to do something a little more...lucrative, but it's what she enjoys. For Calliope, life does not revolve around work. She works to live, not lives to work. 

"Sam, could you please get out of the way? I have to go rescue that drowning man." 


"Actually, I think drowning might be the least of your worries, sir. You seem to be...smoking."

Calliope recounted a crazy story to me about saving a really pale man who was starting to catch on fire from drowning. She thought it was a case of spontaneous human combustion. I didn't bother trying to tell her he was probably a vampire. She wouldn't have believed me anyway. She still thinks I'm just messing with her when I tell her two of my brothers are werewolves and that my dad used to be one too.

Calliope even rescued Sam from drowning. I should really have a talk with him. What is he doing anywhere near the ocean if he can't even swim?

Calliope told me she had to give Sam CPR. I'm just glad she saved his life, although the idea of my wife giving rescue breaths to my older brother did feel a little weird at first, especially the fact that, when recounting the story, she seemed a little too enthusiastic about it.

During all of this chaos, Isabel became a toddler. I was so excited when I realized that she has my hair and eyes, which I of course inherited from my dad. Sophie has more of Calliope and my mom's coloring, with her ginger hair. 

It was almost time for Sophie's birthday so the two girls didn't get to spend much time together as toddlers but during that short time they did enjoy sitting side by side playing together and learning new skills.

Calliope continued to develop a stronger rapport with my dad. She was even able to do some sort of weird trick called a mind meld with him. It's something only people who spend a lot of time invested in "nerd culture" are able to do, apparently. It looked weird, but it helped them develop an even closer friendship so that was fine by me. 

Sophie is growing up so fast. Sometimes I wish time would just slow down a bit. It feels like life goes by in the blink of an eye.

Sophie's started to take after her mom a bit more. The two of them love staying up late, talking into the early hours of the morning. Calliope, at least, is able to sleep in, but my poor daughter has to be practically dragged out of bed in order to get to school on time. 

(Sophie gained the Night Owl trait.) 


Now that I'm a detective I have to spend quite a bit of time interviewing people and writing reports. I decided why not interview people at the beach? I could work but also enjoy the nice scenery and maybe even take a break with a drink while watching my wife save even more people from a watery grave. 

Sophie made a new friend at school. His name is Rufus, and the two of them have quickly become thick as thieves. I couldn't believe how fast they became friends. They have a lot in common, apparently.

This might sound sad, but my best friend is our cat, Snowball. Animals can be even better friends than people. They love you unconditionally, and they are really good at listening.

Even though Calliope has given up on making science a career, she still enjoys practicing some of the things she learned, like giving Rorschach tests to my dad.

"Now what is this?"

"A fish with really big lips."

"Interesting. That tells me a lot about your psyche, Leighton."

"Do I even want to know?" 


I swear that Sophie spends every waking moment with Rufus. I'd be concerned, but he seems like a good kid. My dad keeps an eye on them, at least when he's not too busy playing the game Skate on the video game console.

"Hey kids, did you see me do that sick flip? Watch this!"

"That's nice, Grandpa." 


Sophie begged me to let Rufus stay the night. I couldn't say no. It's really hard to say no to anything she asks for, really. I'm a pushover when it comes to my girls. I might be a cop at work, but at home Calliope is more of the disciplinarian than I am.

I live for the moments when I get to spend some quiet, quality time with the girls, helping Sophie with her homework or teaching Isabel new words. Although sometimes I do miss when both girls were small because now that Sophie is getting older she has begun to ask a lot of questions I don't really know how to answer.

"I miss Grandma. Where did she go? Will we ever see her again?"

"I miss her too, sweetheart. And I don't know. No one really knows."

"Is Grandpa going to die too?"

"Yes. Everyone dies eventually."

"Why?"

"I don't know. That's just the way it is."

You've got to love kids, hitting you with the existential questions right at breakfast before you've even had a chance to wake up.  


Dad was actually the one to lay Mom to rest in the mausoleum.

"Don't worry, love. I'll be joining you soon." 

Family Updates

Calliope 

 Calliope has been quickly climbing the ranks as a lifeguard. I laughed out loud at the title of her promotion.

Evelyn

 

What's with Oliver's siblings always dating elders? Evelyn continues the tradition by getting engaged to Ethan Bunch. Hey, at least she's actually getting married, unlike Henry who's been dating Pythea Potter forever and Theodore who can't keep a date to save his life. At least Hazel is still with Ezekiel, who is about the same age as her.

Hazel

 


Speaking of Hazel, she adopted a cute little pup named Zoe. She's also struggling to survive on her own, but she should be fine once she starts raking in that doctor money. 

Ivy

 

 Not long after Fern passed, Ivy did as well. She apparently left some inheritances to her many nieces and nephews, although I don't think Oliver actually got anything lol

Julius

 

Julius became a young adult and got a job in the athletics career.

He also got a hover scooter for some reason.

And he popped the question to his longtime girlfriend, Vinga Wolff. He wasted no time. I hope they stay together because they're cute. :) 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hadley Random Legacy: Gen 1 Chapter 1

Hadley Random Legacy: Gen 1 Chapter 5

Hadley Random Legacy: Gen 1 Chapter 2